Quantcast

8 Bit Ape Logo

8 Bit Ape Logo
Welcome to 8 Bit Ape, a blog dedicated to opinions and discussions on gaming.

Monday, July 21, 2014

Destiny Beta Impressions

I'm discovering some things the more I play Destiny.




I'm discovering an intriguing universe filled with potential. I'm discovering how great the combat system is. I'm discovering that the co-op gameplay makes sense and it feels empty without it. I'm discovering how much I suck at Control matches. I'm discovering that I will probably pour dozens of hours into this game when it releases. I'm discovering how much Bungie has grown from Halo. I'm discovering how much of a fool I was for thinking this game looked generic in previews.




But most of all, I'm discovering that Destiny could be the greatest online game ever made.




This isn't my first time playing Destiny. I played the Alpha last month. You can read my impressions on that here. As I said in my impressions there, I was not expecting much of Destiny. Yes it was being made by Bungie, the guys who created Halo, and there was a lot of hype surrounding it, but I just didn't get it. To me it just looked like another generic shooter. But when I played it, I was blown away. I became super hyped for it, and when I got access to the beta, I decided to play it again. Here are my thoughts.


Perhaps the biggest thing that the beta has compared to the Alpha is now we have a better understanding of Destiny's story. Basically, you have been resurrected from the dead by a little floating robot companion named Ghost. Most of Earth has been destroyed, and there is only one city left. This city is protected by a mysterious object named the Traveler, which is the big ball you've seen in previews. A Darkness is returning, and you must find and defeat this darkness before it consumes everyone. The game gives you a few missions to play on Earth and then stops your progress before you go on to the second planet, the moon. We don't get too much more info on it, but I'm intrigued to learn more about this universe. On one hand, the setup that I just told you sounds a little cliché, but on the other hand this is Bungie and they've proven they can do a good story and create an intriguing universe. What we do know, is that the voice acting is phenomenal and the soundtrack is amazing. Hopefully a sign of things to come.


Gameplay-wise, there hasn't been much that has been added since the Alpha. It's still got a great combat system, and some of the guns I've found are fantastic. You can go co-op or competitive. Customization has a lot more options, and is very satisfying. You can partake in more main missions, a free roam area, and a strike mission. The more I play with the economy system, the more I like it and find neat little things hidden in them. And yes, you can still dance, and it's still awesome and hilarious as the first time. The competitive multiplayer area, the Crucible, also makes a return, and I'm still terrible at it. Disappointingly, there is still only one mode you can play during the beta, and that's the domination mode called Control. There is a mode called Iron Banner but that's only a slightly different version of Control. While I know this is a beta, I was hoping that we could test out another mode just to give Bungie some feedback on it. However, the maps are very well made, and I believe the map First Light will become an instant fan favorite thanks to its vehicular combat in addition to infantry combat.


Obviously since this is a beta, there will be bugs. Surprisingly, I haven't encountered too many bugs or glitches, as with the Alpha. However, the biggest things I encountered was the occasional disconnection from the server (although my internet connection may have played a part in that). Since this is an online game, the disconnections are frustrating as you can't play the game. I wish there was an offline mode, just so I could continue playing while my network issues resolved. I know some people who have a far worse internet connection than me, and they will almost certainly have a tough time playing Destiny. Also, a little side note, I did notice that the shotguns in the Crucible were a little overpowered and I found myself with some cheap deaths, so I would like them to address that.


My position on Destiny has been reaffirmed. This may just be the biggest game of the fall, and one you should absolutely keep your eye on. I've put 10 hours into the Destiny Beta since starting it yesterday, July 20, and I'm absolutely hooked even though I've maxed out my character. Bungie may have something really special here, and I absolutely cannot wait to see how it turns out. Hurry up September 9.


Have you played the Destiny Beta? What do you think? Has your position on Destiny changed after playing the beta? Will you be buying it? Let me know! And, as always, thanks for visiting 8-Bit Ape.


The Destiny Beta started on July 17 for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, and will be closed for maintenance today July 21 and tomorrow July 22. It will resume on July 23 at 10 AM Pacific on PlayStation platforms and will launch at that time for Xbox 360 and Xbox One. The beta will end on July 27 at a TBA time. Destiny will launch on September 9 for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One. These impressions were of the PlayStation 4 version of the Beta. Experience may vary from platform to platform.

No comments:

Post a Comment